The Friends of Fort Atkinson logo

About the Fort

History

CLICK HERE to download a complete history of Fort Atkinson as printed in NEBRASKAland magazine. Here are a few quick facts:

  • Years of existence: 1819-1827
  • Originally establised as "Camp Cantonement" just upriver in 1819. Floods in the spring of 1820 led to the construction of the permanent fort atop the original "Council Bluff."
  • Presidents during time of fort: James Monroe, John Quincy Adams
  • Nebraska firsts at Fort Atkinson: first military post, school, library, and large scale agriculture/livestock operation
  • Population: At its height, Fort Atkinson housed nearly 1/4 of the standing US Army (approximately 1,200 soldiers); roughly that many civilians lived just beyond the wall of the garrison.
  • Primary purpose: To protect the American fur trade by guarding the "gateway to the west."
  • The Missouri river originally flowed just below the east bluff of the fort. Today, its channel lies some three miles to the east.
  • ArrowIcon BloggerIcon AimIcon DeliciousIcon PaperIcon EtsyIcon FacebookIcon FilmStripIcon FlickrIcon CameraIcon LaunchIcon GooglePlus2Icon GooglePlusIcon HeartIcon InformationIcon InstagramIcon LastfmIcon FrontCameraIcon LinkedInIcon EmailIcon MoneyIcon ItunesIcon MyspaceIcon OpenTableIcon PayPalIcon PencilIcon PersonIcon PhotoIcon PicasaIcon PinterestIcon PodcastIcon RssIcon ShoppingCartIcon SoundCloudIcon StarIcon TableProjectIcon TheCityIcon TumblrIcon Twitter2Icon TwitterIcon TypepadIcon VideoIcon VimeoIcon WordPressIcon YelpIcon YoutubeIcon